Sunday, February 7, 2016

February Review- Self Published Book

Just in time for Valentines day, my first self published book review happens to be a romance!


At the Madison Writer's Conference last year, I attended a lecture featuring self-published authors, and sisters, Christine Cacciatore & Jennifer Starkman. At the time I was just getting my feet wet in the self-publishing world, and these ladies were wonderful. Their talk was fun and chock full of information. I made a note to purchase both of their books as they sounded like great reads. So, almost a year later...I finally did! Their first novel is Baylyn, Bewitched and is it bewitching!


The synopsis from Amazon:


Baylyn Travers is a witch, wand and all, but no one knows. Magic has interfered with her dating in the past, and trust issues have kept her from true love. The quirky librarian falls hard for sexy Declan Hughes and the feeling is mutual. Will Declan still feel the same when he finds out Bay's biggest secret? After all, it's not every day you find out your girlfriend is a witch.


This book,  though deceptively small, is really something. And before I get too much farther, there will be a few spoilers, though I will try to keep them to a minimum as I don't want to completely ruin the story!


The story started out well enough, like all romance seem to. Baylyn even has all the hallmarks of a woman who really has no interest in men based on her life experiences. (Aside: men can be pigs, but ladies can be pigs too!) Though having magic in the mix certainly does set this book apart! The opening scene when Baylyn meets Declan is really something. Throughout the entire book I felt like Baylyn was my friend. Just like any "normal" Midwestern girl would be. Her exclamations and observations of the world around her was so spot on, it was great.


I would have liked a bit more description of the town around her, maybe even a brief layout of the library she works at. I've seen a lot of different libraries with vastly different architecture, and it would have been fun to "see" where she works. Even her home seems glossed over in favor of the interactions between the characters.


Which is great. I not once felt that the dialogue was forced, or that the people acted out of character. If they did happen to act out of character there is always a reason. *coughs* Magic *coughs*
The magic system in this book is fantastic. Even though the magic seems almost an afterthought, I got the distinct impression that there was a rich backstory and world building done. It seeps through the pages in casual remarks or thoughts that some of the characters have.


This read extremely quickly, drawing you in from the start. I would have liked to see the book be a bit longer. Several months take place during the short book, and some events are glossed over. There were also a few typos present, but as a fellow Indie Author, it's hard to find all the little buggers! Nothing detracted from the story though, so they were easily glossed over.


Baylyn, Bewitched isn't your typical romance, and they have easily set up the next few books in the series. This book has tons of cute, hair pulling, cringe-worthy, "Ah-ha!", and loving moments. And boy, did those sisters get the feelings of love down pat! I think they both must have met their soul mates to be able to understand the feelings. Even to describe them.


I would recommend this book to any and everyone! 5/5 stars from me.


Link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Baylyn-Bewitched-Whitfield-Witch-1/dp/1496143930/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=












*psssst* my second book is now available on Amazon. Be sure to get in on the epic-ness of the Incalescent Trilogy from the beginning!
 http://www.amazon.com/Through-Mountains-Chronicles-Incalescent-Trilogy/dp/1512254967/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452630467&sr=8-1&keywords=Through+the+Mountains



No comments:

Post a Comment