Thursday, November 1, 2012

Posted for a Friend... :) (Little to no editing)



I don’t know how long it was that I laid there, hands at my sides, just breathing, listening to the silence of the cavern.
Water was dripping in a rhythmic pattern from somewhere to my left; the steady drip-drip forming a cadence with the beat of my heart. The wind whistled softly through the cavern, barely there, but I could feel it, almost a caress across my drying skin.
“Rune” it was distant, and quiet, but it was there.
“Rune” the voice was almost muffled, like it came from a great distance. So I shut it out, it must be a trick of the wind against the rocks and water.
“Rune” this time it was forceful, not pleading, not demanding, but commanding. It sounded closer, stronger, and somehow familiar.  Still I did not rise.
“Rune!” Yes, it was familiar, and now I had upset it. Cracking one eye open, instead of the dark empty cavern, there were great pillars of white stone. The tiny spit of land was gone, the obsidian water was gone, and the night sky above me was gone.
I could no longer feel the gentle breeze across my skin, instead there was a thin dress of deep crimson. Pushing myself into the sitting position, I noticed that I was no longer on the ground, but on a raised slab of granite.
“Rune, come.” The voice was stronger, and it was so familiar, I felt as if I had heard it before today. Though looking around, I couldn’t see who had spoken, I was entirely alone in the circle. The only movement was the wind through the leaves, everything else was still. I could have stayed there and been content; the breeze was so soft and pleasantly warm on my skin.
“Come” there it was again. Not agitated as it was before, but still almost instructing me. The dress rustled softly as I swung my legs over the edge of the granite slab. My feet were bare, and when I stood the stone under them was unexpectedly warm; not at all as cold as I had anticipated.
Suddenly I wasn’t so sure about this. I had no idea where I was, and as I ran a hand down my leg, I realized that I didn’t even have the hunting knife that I always kept tied to my lower leg.
“You don’t need that kind of protection here, Rhy’dages tai’sai. Come.”
The voice answered! And there was that name again, what did it mean? The man in Talens’ had used the same words when he had left me. My curiosity peaked, I put my feet firmly down, and followed the stone inlaid in the grass down out of the pillars.
My way was shaded by ornate trees on either side. The sun was high in the sky, but I felt no heat, only the cool breeze as I strode down the path. The dress clung to me as I stepped down into another circle of pillars, this one though, had chairs arranged around one standing alone in the center. 
There were five chairs in the circle, and the chair directly in front of the center one, was high backed, and was cushioned with an opalescent cloth. As I watched the cloth seemed to change from blue, to a fiery red, then again to a shimmering white color.
I wandered around, walking between all of them. All were carved with intricate details, and all were draped in a different color cloth. One was as white, and unblemished as the clouds in the sky, another deep blue like a well of water, and yet another was a forest green which changed as I looked upon it, much like a trees’ leaves do in a breeze. The last was draped in nothing. It stood there, unadorned, and un-carved, unlike the others.
“I am glad that you found your way here, I knew you would. Rhy’dages tai’sai.” It was the voice, sounding pleased, and it came from behind me.
Turning around so quickly that my dress wrapped around me, I stood facing a man. He was taller than any other man I had ever known, but Damien. He had light brown, almost chestnut hair that gleamed with red when the sun caught it. His eyes were a bright and brilliant shade of blue, with black rimming them. They were kind eyes, the type of eyes that a person could trust instantly. My pendant pulsated warmly against my neck.
He smiled at me, a large and welcoming smile. His perfectly straight teeth were so white compared to the close trimmed beard of chestnut that covered from his lips to around his jaw.  
“Where am I?” I asked. It seemed a fitting question since it was apparent I was no where near the cavern that I had been in only a little while ago. His expression clouded, then, cleared.
“You are standing in the testing ground of new Rhyders.” He gestured towards the other chairs, “There should be three others here with me, but they are absent. And in doing so they are keeping us safe for the time being.” Here his eyes danced merrily with mischief, “Though they would have loved to be here for this, especially Erimentha.” He pointed to the chair draped in the green changing cloth.
“How did I get here?” I asked turning to face him, my back to the chair in the middle which sat unadorned as well. He sat in the chair opposite, the one draped in the opalescent cloth. And motioning me to do likewise, I sat, keeping my back straight, on the edge of the seat.  
“I brought you here.” He must have sensed my surprise, for he put up a hand to stay the question that was next on my tongue. “Please be patient, I brought you here only in spirit, your body is still in the cavern. But this was the best I could do considering the real grounds were destroyed many years ago.”
“But how?” I was still confused, and couldn’t hold my tongue any longer. “And why? And what does Rhy’dages tai’sai mean? That is the second time in two days I have been called that.” My questions came pouring out, and as soon as I voiced them, I realized how childlike I must seem to him. The heat rose in my face, and he sat back easily in his chair with an amused smile on his face.
“I am sorry to interrupt.” I managed to mumble, trying to save myself from too much embarrassment. I looked up shyly behind my eyelashes to see him still sitting smiling, as if lost in thought. His expression changed subtly, and he sat straighter.
“Please do not be embarrassed, I asked many of the same questions when I sat where you now sit. I do not have time to answer all of them, but I will answer what I can in the time we are given.” He leaned down and reached beside the chair, straightening again, he held in his grasp a purse of dark leather.
“I brought you here by magic.” I gasped, unable to stop myself, he smiled even wider. “It wasn’t easy, and magic is not all bad as some people would lead you to believe. As to why I brought you here, I did that so I could give you this.” And he easily tossed the bag over to me. It landed heavily in my hands, but warmed to my touch.
“Do not open it now, wait until you leave. It will open only to you, so it is safe. Someone would sense it if you opened it now, and I also need you to listen to me fully. What I am about to say is very important, and we do not have much time.” A look of pain rapidly crossed his face, and his eyes captured mine, holding them captive.
I nodded my understanding, and gripped the bag with my hands, whatever was inside was now warmer than myself. Out of the corner of my eye, the bag seemed to glow faintly, as did my pendant. But I never took my eyes away from his.
“What I am about to tell you is of the utmost importance to this lands’ survival. Firstly, the Ryders are not dead. There are few who still fight for Acosia, but they need a leader to unite them. Secondly, while magic has been forgotten, it is not dead.” He seemed to add as an afterthought. “ And thirdly,” he was interrupted as a massive, ear shattering roar split the air, making me jump in surprise, and he looked away quickly, his eyes unfocused as if he was looking at something far away. He nodded slightly, and looked at me with a sad and pained expression on his face, his eyes quietly subdued as he spoke.
“I am sorry, but we must part now, I am afraid I have taken too much time with you, and it is taxing Dhaval too much.” He stood, and held out his hands to me, my pendant again pulsated warmly against my skin, and the bag in my hands was a warm comfort. I stood, tied the bag at my waist, and crossed the distance between us.
Grasping my hands in his, he looked down at me and said “Remember to trust no one, and to always make sure you have that pendant on you. For I can reach you then, no matter how far apart we may be.” He gave my hands a squeeze, and said “Le’s tehain, Dages va’n ech, mech tai’ sai.” A single tear slid down his face, and I raised my hand to stop its fall, lest he be disgraced.
Then he was gone, the courtyard was empty save me. The sound of water slowly dripping returned to my conscious. I closed my eyes in a weak attempt to remember the exact lay out and vivid colors of the courtyard, and the image of the mysterious man with the kind eyes and loving expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment