Tuesday, October 28, 2014

NaNo Tips, Tricks, and my plans for this November!


It’s that time of year again. The time when the weather turns colder, the leaves change color, and the whole world gets ready to refresh itself. (At least in the Northern Hemisphere)

It’s almost time for NaNoWriMo!!

Once again National Novel Writing Month is right around the corner, and many of my friends, myself included, are starting to feel the crunch of time. That last hour panic has started reaching its icy fingertips around our hearts. But do not lose hope!

So in the spirit of  NaNoWriMo, I have a few tips and tricks that I have found are helpful in the last three challenges.

Tip One:
Do NOT let yourself feel overwhelmed. Take it ONE day, and one sentence at a time. Concentrate on little goals instead of that deadline at the end of the month.

Trick One:
Reward yourself for those Mini-Milestones. Set a goal of writing for so long, say half hour, hour whatever. Or a Mini goal of writing 500 words then your reward. I like using cups of hot really good quality hot chocolate for my rewards!

Tip Two:
Have an idea of where your story is going. You don’t necessarily need an intricate outline, pages of character sketches, loads of backstory, or detailed world building. Just a rough concept of where the beginning, middle, and end of the story is, and maybe some major points that should happen.  This will help keep the story moving forward even when you don’t feel like moving forward.

Trick Two:
Tell everyone that you are participating. Scream it from the rooftops…well maybe not. But announce it on all your social media, at work, at school. Tell friends and family that you will be busy writing a novel. You will need both the cheerleaders and the accountability to keep going even when you want to stop.

Tip Three:
Your muse will not show up if you don’t. Write. Every. Single. Day. Even if it’s only a couple hundred words a day. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.

Trick Three:
Limit social media. I mean it! I have a rule about being on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and yes, even Netflix. Same goes for TV shows. I only get to watch those AFTER I’ve completed my word count for the day.


My plans for NaNo.
This time around I am planning on writing two books, for a total of 100,000 words.

The first is a romance set in Doolin, Ireland, and focuses around a woman, Aubree Harper. She heads off to Ireland at the suggestion of her best friend and is swept up in the beauty of the land, and the warmness of the people. Not to mention Declan O’Tyne.

The second is the first of the next trilogy in my Ryder Chronicles. The first was the Incalescent Trilogy; this will be the Descendants Trilogy. The events take place 25 years after the Incalescent Trilogy, and focus on some of the children from the first as well as few new friends. Several more cultures, people, and even more dangerous enemies.

Wish me luck! And happy writing to you all!!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment