Monday, February 10, 2014

Flustered and Overwhelmed

I was so excited to see that Barnes and Noble box sitting outside of my door on Friday night. I sat down Saturday with a pencil and post-it note tabs and went to work marking up the newest version of the 2014 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market.

After marking up the advice and agent sections with many colored tags I am feeling more than a tad overwhelmed. It is not that I mind doing the writing work, in fact the only thing I really want to do with my life and time is to write for a living. What I find intimidating are all of the steps to find an agent or publisher, and trying to sell both yourself and your works.

Some require a bio, some want to only work with previously published authors, some need a synopsis, author bio, and a few chapters to consider.

Oy Vey.

I simply want to find someone who can be just as excited as I am about my works.
This whole next step is reminiscent of when I was sending out resumes and doing interviews when applying for jobs. I'm not a fan of selling myself, and I think that my work should stand on it's own.

So time to take some deep Yoga breaths and work on what I can control: editing/revising my second novel, planning the third before Camp NaNoWriMo in April, and writing the best query letter I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment