Monday, February 17, 2014

Is it just me...?

I'm wondering if it's just me, or if other people have this same thing happen to them...
I feel like the song "Wake Me Up" by Avicii is, well, for lack of a better term, my theme song. At least for the next year. Especially the Irish version made popular by BEO Lurgan.

There is something about the music, the rhythm and tones that just resonate within me every time I hear it.
And the Irish version, though not a one to one translation, (because no such translation exists between languages) is probably my favorite. There have been multiples instances of me playing the song and singing at the top of my lungs on the drive to/from work.

And yes, I can sing it in Irish.


The lyrics are as follows, Irish on top, English on bottom:
Liricí:

Fáinne fí i gcoim na hoíche.
A vicious circle in the middle of the night.
(Níl) ‘tada riamh nach mbíonn thart.
There’s nothing ever without an end.
‘Diabhail fhios ‘am cá bhfuil deireadh mo scéil.
I’ve no clue where my story’s end lies.
Ach tá mé ar an mbealach ceart.
But I am on the right way.

Deir siad liom gan a dhul sa tseans.
They tell me not to take any risks.
Nach dtagann ciall roimh aois.
That wisdom doesn’t come before you’re old.
Bhuel ‘sé m’aistear é. Ní léir cén fhad a mhairfidh sé.
Well it’s my journey. Who knows how long it’s gonna last.
‘Sé togha ar aon chaoi.
It’s brilliant, anyway.

Curfá / Chorus

So lig mé saor ón suan ‘tá orm.
So free me from this slumber of mine.
(Tai)speáin dom bóthar éasca cothrom.
Show me a fair and easy road.
Bainfidh mé ceann scríbe amach. ‘Sí m’aidhm.
I’ll make it to my destination. That’s my goal.
Cibé treo atá i ndán.
Whichever way is meant for me.

(Tá) mé ag iompar ualach mór an tsaoil.
I’m carrying life’s heavy burden.
Ach níl ‘am ach péire lámh.
But I only have two hands.
Súile troma is an ghrian ag dul faoi.
[My] eyes are heavy as the sun is going down.
Ach ní chodlaíonn mé go sámh.
But I don’t sleep peacefully.

“Bris amach agus tú fós sách óg.”
“Break away while you’re still young enough.”
Chinnigh mé le dul in’ aghaidh.
I’ve decided against that.
Bhuel, seo mo ré. Seasfaidh mé an fód.
Well, this is my time. I will stand my ground.
‘S leanfaidh mé ar aghaidh.
And I will go on.


And if you don't speak or read Irish, I do understand that it looks like a bunch of goobly-gook...but it really is quite pretty.

I will let the video speak for itself:

No comments:

Post a Comment