Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Tools of the Trade

There are many tools that writers utilize during the process of creating a book.
They can range from reference books, a library, a person, the software used to plan or write the book, hard materials such as notebooks/pens/notecards, to online resources like Pinterest and baby name websites.


In this blog post I'd like to talk about one that I have recently, really begun using more. That is the App, or website known as Pinterest.
Now, I have been a Pinterest user for several years; it definitely started after I got my first iPhone. At first I used it for the usual things like, jokes, cat memes, planting advice, house ideas, writing advice for both during NaNo and writing in general. (There's seriously tons on my boards, and it would take way too long to list everything!)


Then I found the geek tab, and I added more boards all about Lord of the Rings, Supernatural, House, Castle etc. From that board I started finding interesting fantasy posts and pictures. Any writing advice got pinned to the writing boards, but what was I to do with these inspiring and cool pictures that sparked my imagination? Well, create a board called "Inspiration"!


This "Inspiration" board has become a catch-all for anything that sparks my imagination, or reference materials for books. You will find things that range from types of weapons and armor, to plants and their medicinal (or poision) uses. From reference pictures of characters and clothing to snippets of dialogue or listings of medieval jobs. Anything that catches my attention goes in.


Later, or even if I know right away where that particular piece fits, I either add it to an existing board, or I create a new one. So now not only do I have an "Inspiration" board, but also a board for my first trilogy, "Incalescent", and for the romance trilogy I'm working on that's set in Ireland, "Irish Romance".


Lately I've been using it to save images of characters for a middle grade/young adult Christian Fantasy I've had brewing in the back of my mind. Which is a little odd. Before this I never actively searched for character references. But I have found that this is helping to solidify the characters and their traits more in my mind.


Have you used Pinterest before in your writing process? If you have, I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh going to go follow! I recently got back into Pinterest and I too use it for book references :) Sometimes I get overwhelmed, though. There's just SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is SO MUCH on there, I totally get it! I just recently really got into using it for more than writing advice. I have a TON on there about self publishing, writing/editing advice, and of course inspiration!
      Good luck, and thanks for commenting Stefanie! :)

      Delete