Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Advice

What advice would I give an "aspiring" writer?
Well first off, I dislike the use of aspiring. If you're writing something, anything creative, you're already a writer. So let me rephrase the question.
What advice would I have to writers, especially those just starting on the journey.

First off I would say, welcome! Most other writers you meet are going to welcome you with completely open arms, and want to "talk shop".
There a few pieces of advice that I would like every person that is on the writing journey know:


1. Though writing is (typically) a solitary adventure, you are putting down imaginary characters from an imaginary world down onto paper, you are not alone. There are literally thousands of writers all over the world who are doing the same thing you are. Reach out, connect, cheer each other on, and commiserate when characters misbehave.


2. Practice. Practice. Practice. No one writes a perfect first draft. NO ONE. That is what the revision process is for. Every time you go through it your writing gets better. I promise.


3. If thinking about self publishing, get as many people as you can volunteer to read it before hitting that "submit" button. Yes, typos happen to the best of us (I've found several in traditionally pubbed books as well), but the more eyes you have checking, the less likely you'll have readers pointing them out later.


4. Develop a thick skin. Sadly, as much as you love you story and you characters, writing is still art. And art is subjective in nature. Not everyone who reads your stories will love them, or even like them. Learn to sift through for the gold nuggets of advice, and leave the rest alone.

4 comments:

  1. ...Blah. I have commented twice and now I know why it didn't work. My sister totally used my computer and changed my default email. Grr.

    ANYWAYS, I love this advice, and I hate right now when I've been sucking at writing not knowing whether I "can" call myself a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm glad that you figured it out though, I always enjoy talking with you :)
      If you write, you're a writer! If you write stories, you're an author. Simple as that :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your kind review. I agree with your advice and will work on "show-don't-tell in my second one. I also agree with the four points above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind review. I agree with your advice and will work on "show-don't-tell in my second one. I also agree with the four points above.

    ReplyDelete