Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Reading Wide

I recently saw a discussion in one of the Writing Groups I follow on Facebook about whether or not one should write and read in multiple genres.

I didn't weigh in, because it would have taken far too many comments for me to explain my feelings about this topic.

With that, my opinion is this:

HECK YES!

Every writer should not only read widely, but I also believe they should also write widely.


At the time of writing this I am reading Polgara the Sorceress  by David Eddings, The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell, and Coiled by H.L. Burke. The first is a high fantasy, the second is a historical fiction, and the last is a retelling of the Eros and Psyche myth.

Each is different, each contains tropes from the different genres, and all of them are good in their own way. I thoroughly enjoy several different genres. Romance, all types of Fantasy, Historical, Mystery, and Retellings each have places on my book shelves.

Reading as a writer is different than just enjoying a story. In order to improve your writing, reading with an eye towards craft is an invaluable tool. One of the best pieces of advice I've stumbled across was as a writer you should read as much as you can. But not just read a lot, examine and dissect the books you read.

Instead of simply thinking "I like this character", ask yourself why? How does the writer make you care for them? What aspects to the character bleed through the writing that hooked you?

Maybe it's the plot. Does it twist and turn and keep you guessing? Or is it simple and straight forward but the setting and characters make it intriguing.

Since different genres place emphasis on different parts of writing. By reading and asking yourself questions about these, your writing will become more well rounded.
For example:
A common error that new(er) authors stumble into with fantasy is not doing enough world building. Or to spend so much time and space in the book cramming every detail about the world, and then not have enough plot or characterization to pull the readers into the story.

All writers should read widely in an effort to better their craft and give readers books they want to read, and enjoy.

While I write mainly fantasy, I have had a lot of people that wouldn't normally read fantasy, read and love my Incalescent Trilogy. Mainly because I don't just focus on the fantasy aspects, but the interpersonal relationships and emotions behind the events in the plot.

Just because you write in one genre, doesn't mean you are restricted to read ONLY that genre.
Spread out and try different stories, ask questions, and improve your own work!

No comments:

Post a Comment