Wednesday, March 7, 2018

What Happened?

Here's how it goes.
You're looking forward to a book. Maybe for a day, maybe for months.
You grab your snack, beverage, a comfy spot, and teasingly open those first few pages. But before long, your cozy evening has been hijacked by a book that wildly doesn't live up to your expectations.
Throwing the book down, you storm off to find another one...But what happened?

What did that book do that broke your short lived love affair?

For me, it's a variety of reasons.




I have read many, MANY books over the years, and recently I have dived into the realm of Self, Indie, and Small Press Pubbed books.
During this time I've found books that for some reason I stopped reading. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Case in point: in the past two years there has been three books I've had to put down and step away from.

And no, I'm not going to spill which ones they were here. That is a different topic entirely.
What is interesting is that the main reason for putting each down was different for each one.

The first was a fantasy that I had to stop reading due to the rampant cliche's. It was terrible. From the characters, to plot holes, to even dialogue. It was riddled with tropes, and NOT in a good way. (The editing was also terrible, but that's not the main reason I had to put it down.)

The second was what I thought was an paranormal/urban fantasy. I got 30% in and realized it wasn't, it was a graphic romance novel with paranormal/UF aspects to it. Very little plot development with jumping between characters minds in mid paragraph. I wasn't prepared for the content, and on top of that it was not at all something that I enjoy as the "romance" part of it overtook the rest of the book.

To be slightly more generous, both of the above were self published. Now, self pubbers NEED to have many rounds of edits and re-writes, just like traditionally pubbed writers. Each book of mine goes through multiple rounds of edits from me, as well at least 5 other people before it is released to the world. In the above instances, these things would have been very easily found, and fixed had their editors been either honest, or they went through enough rounds.

The third was the second in a series of paranormal romances. I did enjoy the first, but this sequel was not the same, at all. The back blurb talked about one male and one female, the reader would think those are the main characters, correct? We didn't even see one of them until chapter five. Then we didn't get a chapter from one of their POV's until chapter seven.
On top of that, there were several mistakes that should have been caught as this was published from a small press, that SHOULD have had a through editing before release.

In all of this I don't begrudge the author. Writing is hard. But releasing that book into the world? Terrifyingly difficult.

The only downside I see is that I wasn't able to enjoy the writers world as they intended. And in many of the cases of books I put down, had these simple items been fixed, I wouldn't have been able to put the books down!

Anyone else have books they just had to stop reading? Why?


No comments:

Post a Comment