Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Book Review

This month's book review is a book that I read as an Arc, which means it wasn't even released when I read it! How amazing it is to read a book that hasn't been released to the public yet.
But fear not! Horrid by L.C. Ireland releases on April 10th, just a few days away from when this post goes live.

Despite this being a book I was gifted, as always, all opinions, thoughts and comments are true and were not persuaded in any way by the author.


According to L.C. Ireland's website this book is part of a larger series with the following description: 

Seven Sisters of Silverleaf
Young Adult Fantasy (ages 10+)
The seven Delaroe sisters encounter magical creatures, dastardly villains, and handsome heroes in this fantasy series inspired by classic fairytales. 

While reading I couldn't exactly pin point down which fairy tale this one had in it, but throughout the book you definitely get that feeling. But when you have a witch that curses your family, something has been stolen, and that witch bargains for your soul...well those elements are in most fairy tales I know! 

I honestly didn't know alot about this story, or even L.C. Ireland before reading this, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it! Much like my review last month, I read this book in a day. More precisely in the time between putting Liam down to bed and about 11 pm. So it took me roughly 4.5 hours to finish it. Not too shabby. *rolls shoulders* This ol' girl's still got it! 

Ahh I remember the time I used to read thick books in a day...but I digress. 

Clearly, if I was able to read this in essentially one sitting the writing is well done, any typos were not distractions, and the flow of the story pulled me through. 

I quite enjoyed how Delta was literally they most unexpected heroine. She is the middle of 7 sisters who, along with two brothers, make up what is left of the Delaroe family. Their parents died under seemingly mysterious circumstances on a voyage, leaving the eldest brother Alistair in charge of their lands and with keeping the peace with neighboring nobles. 

The story really kicks off from the beginning with the description of the Witch of Horr, AKA the Horrid Witch. Deltas states that "I was sixteen and scared. I was desperate. And that's when she gets you: when you have everything to lose and nothing to bargain with but your soul." 

Hello! Talk about plunging the reader into the world from the get go. The book is a great roller coaster ride of plot twists, one of which I didn't even guess! The reader really feels for Delta as she is thrust into situations far exceeding her experience and depth. But that is what makes this such a great ride! 

Personally, I can not wait until the next book in the series releases! 

L.C. Ireland's links are below! Be sure to check this book out, I give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment