Wednesday, June 1, 2016

How to Prep for writing a novel

The title is a bit misleading as different avenues and strategies work for different people, so I will outline what I have found that works the best for me.


When it comes to my books, I have a method to the madness.


Usually it starts out simply. Just getting out some character sketches and personalities. This is done using a form that I actually created myself. I tailor it to each project. But the basics are there: Physical appearance, typical dress, who their parents/family are, where they're from, current address, magical abilities, bonded dragons, past injuries/scars, etc. This I fill in as best as I can at the beginning, often times I find out more as I'm writing and will add notes in later.


(IF this is a historical novel, all of the research of time period comes first, and is much more in depth)


Next, once I have all of the major, and quite a few of the minor, characters sorted I move on to the plot. Typically by this point I've worked through the large plot of the story. The main quest or goal. The plotting comes in when I need to figure out how to get to said goal. I start by filling in what the "bad guy's" plans are. This may or may not be revealed in the book to the reader, but it helps me to understand their motives and how they are moving people around. It shapes how my hero's will react.


I have my point A and B, and now I need to get the characters to point B. So I go through and envision what events, conversations, or deaths would compel my characters to point B. This is usually where the scene cards come out. If the larger plot note is my roadmap, the scene cards are my sign posts. They keep the story moving toward the end goal. I can go "off script" and add in scenes or even characters, but the cards keep me directed to the end. I usually end with between 25-40 scene cards per novel. Again, within the structure there is a lot of lateral movement and freedom.


Between getting the characters sorted, the scene cards, and actually writing, I spend a lot of time daydreaming. And I don't just mean staring aimlessly out the window, although that does happen. Nope, not what I do at all. I will take each scene card and focus on what could/should happen. I literally play it through my mind like a movie. By doing this you are keeping your story in the forefront of your brain. It is MUCH easier to dive into the story when you've already sat down and understand what has to happen next.


And then there are those people where none of this works for them, and that is fine too. Some people do a bit of both. Play around, see what works best for you!

2 comments:

  1. Love these ideas Malinda! You know my struggle with plotting. So I'm super willing to try anything. My issue - I am always convinced my plot isn't PLOTTY enough, so I end up not writing. Which is kind of silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Stefanie! Yeah, plotting is not always the easiest. Usually around NaNoWriMo I do more in depth posts about how I actually set up a scene card and take notes (including pictures!). Good luck with the wedding planning!! :)

      Delete