Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Realizing I wanted to be a Author

Many writers can tell you the story of when they first wanted to be a real "author". For me I grew up writing stories. I think my mom still has some of the earliest pieces tucked away somewhere safe. Eek, let's not look at those! I excelled in the writing and English classes throughout school, but there was a moment in middle school when I knew something had shifted.


I was in 7th grade, and was reading Terry Brooks Elfstones of Shannara for the first time. My father has a love of fantasy, so when I was looking for more books to read, he jumped at the chance to share his love with me. (I was a voracious reader, and it was at this time I also started reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, the Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien, as well as The Mists of Avalon.)


While reading Elfstones I fell in love with the entire mythology and world that Brooks was able to build. His characters made me laugh, cry, and love them with each chapter. The mysteries of the world and magic as well as the races intrigued me. I distinctly remember sitting in a study hall reading, and realizing that not only did I want to write something like I was reading, but that I COULD. There was nothing stopping me from trying, and if I hated it, I would never share anything I wrote with anyone else.


With all the heart and brain power my little 13 year old body could muster, I started writing longer, more detailed stories. Often for projects I would turn in something that was supposed to be only ten pages, but would be closer to 20. This really came to a head when I was 16 in high school. During a creative writing class (It was a new class for the school, and I was so excited) for a short story, my mind just would not stop going. I thought of back stories, names, new geography, new languages, and even new creatures. Enter in my love of all things fantastical, including dragons! For that "short story" I turned in the first 25 pages (single spaced), of the very first draft of Through the Mountains.


Now, a lot has changed since those first few pages, but what I try to hold on to is that passion. The spark that says that I can do it. The spark that drives me to write. I will never forget that realization in study hall. It changed my life forever.

3 comments:

  1. I was 14 while reading Divergent when I realized I wanted to be a writer. Then I wrote my first novel. Though I began writing small little things when I was 11, but didn't think much of it. Awesome post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this <3 I feel like I've always wanted to be a writer, but more seriously when I became an older teen/adult

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raychel and Stefanie for commenting!
    I feel like often people who end up being writers knew from a young age. Like, it's just something you're born with :)

    ReplyDelete