Wednesday, January 17, 2018

New Years Resolutions Pt 1 - Why Make Them At All?

If I am completely honest here, and I will be since it is—after all—my blog, I HATE New Years Resolutions.

I mean it's fantastic that people want to better themselves by quitting smoking, eating healthier, going to the gym, doing daily brain teasers, or hitting personal milestones.

But the darn guilt of feeling you HAVE to have something to work on at the beginning of the year is crippling,

Am I right? Or am I RIGHT?!?

Before you click away thinking this is just another "New Year, New You" pile of-you-know-what....just hear me out. It won't take long! ;)


Despite my feelings about New Years Resolutions, I do agree that even writers should have resolutions. How about instead of calling them resolutions, we call them goals?
And instead of just having them at the new year, let's start them whenever we need to. Be it a Tuesday, Friday, or even the second half of the day after sitting around and being a bum and feeling sorry for yourself. Just me? Okay, moving on...

Any time is a good time to set a goal!

Goals are fantastic. They give us something to strive for. A finish line for those of us feeling like we're slaving away for naught. A goal can be as small or as large as you want or need it to be.
They help to keep us motivated to make the changes we feel we need to make. Whether they be a personal or professional goal. Even something silly such as remembering to always put your keys in the same spot, is a good goal.

As long as the goal is something that you feel will better yourself, set it!

Sadly though, setting a goal is an entirely different animal than achieving that goal. This is not like those "Set it and Forget it" meals your mom made back in the day.
Getting to that goal is going to take some work.

In next weeks post I'll talk about how to set goals in a manageable way, and how to motivate yourself to hit those puppies.

Until then why don't you, dear reader, think of something you would like to change in your life.
No matter how small, large, serious, or silly, and I will do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment