Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Tools of the Trade

Tools are important for any creative endeavor. Whether it is Painting, Sculpture, Fiber Arts, Design, even Writing, they all have basic needs.

Personally I keep it pretty low tech, unless you count my computer, but even then I'm pretty simple with programs. I prefer to have my notes in physical form so I can have them next to my computer as I'm working.  



My computer is my number one tool to writing. I have a MacBook Pro, and I love it. I used to have an HP laptop, but after 5 years in college it was on its last leg and finally was done. It was constantly having issues with viruses, and at the time my parents had purchased a MacBook Pro three years prior, and had not had ONE ISSUE. In fact, it's been several more years and they still haven't had an issue! (Neither has my computer, and I love how my phone and my computer automatically are compatible and update accordingly.)

In order to keep my projects separate and have plenty of room for each one I utilize different notebooks, or notebooks with multiple sections. My favorite brands are Moleskine and Five Star, though any notebook with enough pages or sections would work.

My favorite piece for keeping things organized with my Ryder Chronicles series is a large Five Star binder. It's not like a typical binder as it has a soft spine and is expandable. It has plenty of room for divided sections, hand drawn maps, character information sheets, and lots of extra loose-leaf for hand written notes.




Note cards. I could write a love ballad to my note cards. I use them as "scene" cards. Each card has which character I'm writing from, events or dialogue that has to happen, and what scene it is in the book (ie, 1,2,3 etc). This is especially helpful when I'm writing my fantasy trilogies. It helps me almost pre-write the book before I get started. I will also add notes that I need to keep in mind while writing, like scars, or abilities, or memories.

Paperclips! I use them with the scene cards. Each color corresponds to a different character so I know at a glance which character is getting "screen time". It helps to keep the viewpoints even and gives me a guide to how far through the story I am at any given time by moving the note cards to the back as I finish those scenes.

Earbuds are my next must have item for writing. I almost always have to write to music. It helps to keep my thoughts centered on the story I'm working on. I prefer the in-ear variety as I have nine earrings, and over the ear ones just push the back of the studs against my head. Not comfortable! Plus as an added bonus, they're small and easy to transport.



What are other writers must haves for writing? Anything you would add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment