Wednesday, October 30, 2013

NaNoWriMo Survival Kit!

Since NaNoWriMo officially starts in 2 days (I am including today since I am writing this at 8 am), I am getting that much more excited! In order to make it through the month of literary abandon I have put together a little kit of items that I have deemed necessary or helpful to myself.

My outlines, character sketches, maps, background pieces and scene cards. These are my road maps of where my novel and characters are going.

A word count calender that I found on Pinterest. You get to fill in little boxes for every 250 words written. It's awesome since my goal is not just the 50k, but actually to write 70k. 

Music. I have a specific soundtrack that I've created for this novel series specifically. I also like listening to soundtracks from movies that  are similar in genre or theme, and have several of them lined up and ready to go. Earbuds also fall into this category...I don't want to annoy other people around me too much :)

My Laptop...because...well...DUH :)

An external hard drive. I was almost done writing the first novel a few months back, and realized that I would probably die if I lost any of those 70,000 words due to a computer crash...so I went out and purchased a relatively inexpensive but good external hard drive. I also have a few flash drives on hand  for backing things up.

An extra notebook that fits into my purse for any ideas that pop into my mind while I'm away from my keyboard.

HOT CHOCOLATE. I went out and bought a very large container to keep all throughout the month. While most people like their morning coffee as a stimulant. But I've never liked the taste of coffee. So for me hot chocolate functions as a coffee substitute.

A crocheted shawl/lap blanket I made. Because it gets cold in Wisconsin in November.

And my official NaNo hoodie, for the same reason as above!

I plan on attending a few of the write in's, the kick off and happily ever after parties. I am so excited to be around people who get just as geeky about writing as I can :) I also will try to blog pretty consistently during the month with how my process is going, updated word count, and any problems (eek) that might come up. Maybe that way someone else can learn from my first NaNo too!

Good Luck fellow WriMo's!!

No comments:

Post a Comment