Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Living a Creative Life Part 3

Last blog post of the year!! Exciting stuff..I think... :)

Okay, so continuing on this theme of living creatively my next topic is a bit different and it harkens back to my original post concerning a friend who asked how I get my ideas.
After speaking with said friend, I literally sat down and made a list of all of the ideas I have for books/book series. This took over 24 hours because after making my initial list, my mother reminded me of another series that she wants me to write, and then I would remember another idea I had and the list would have to be re-written. But my final tally of the books/series I could write?

23

That's right, 23 books, novels, that if I never thought of another idea I could write.

Another sobering thought?

I've already written two of them.

So 21 more books that I could (should) write.

Wow, I don't know about other creative writing types out there, but I was a bit stunned. I had never taken an objective look at the ideas I've had over the years. And yes, some need a lot more fleshing out before they could be considered for a story and written. But still, 21 more books? I had to laugh because the list of genre ranges from urban fantasy, to dark fantasy, to high fantasy, to historical fiction, to a children's series, to a fluffy romance ala Nora Roberts or Nicholas Sparks style. And someday I would like to write a murder/detective story, but don't have a solid idea yet.

Moral of the story?
People have more in them than what meets the eye. I dare any of my writer type or creative type friends (or whoever actually reads my posts) no matter what medium, to make a similar list and take a good look at what you have accomplished so far. Don't be intimidated by how much you have left, jump in and get messy! Enjoy the journey and what you create.

Until next year, keep typing and the creative thoughts coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment