Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bonus Post!

It is Saturday, and I am at the Writers Conference. I have to say that at first I felt very out of place. The hotel is beautiful, and not somewhere I would usually stay. I feel a little pampered! Once the lectures started I felt much more comfortable being around other people that love the same things. It was refreshing to not have to defend my love of fantasy, or discussing characters, or how to construct a plot.

I did pick up the two writing samples I submitted, and am happy to report that while the comments were constructive, overall the critiques were good. My worst fears were not confirmed: no one said that I suck, and that dreaming of being a published writer should be forgotten.

With both stories I was actually told to add description. This comment made me laugh out loud as something that I have had to work on was being LESS descriptive. Apparently now I've cut out too much. Maybe after adding in a bit more I will hit that sweet spot between too much and not enough.
While the comments on my Romance were interesting I was much more anxious to get the comments back on the fantasy I will be self publishing this year. Here are the final comments on Through the Mountains:

"This is an interesting beginning with good tension between the characters and enough intrigue to keep the reader wanting to read more. Delete redundancies and add description to really make your story a page turner."

What great feedback! I am so excited and really anxious (in a good way :) ) to get back to work on my fantasy series.

Until the next time, keep writing my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment