Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What's up Wednesday

I think to give myself more motivation to post on here, I am going to start doing "What's up Wednesdays". For these blogs I believe I am just going to talk about what is on my mind, things I see, what I'm reading etc. I think that will be some incentive, and take the pressure off of trying to be clever.

So here goes!

Lately I've been spending more time at my local Starbucks, not because I drink coffee- which I don't at all- but rather I seem to get more work done out of the house. This past weekend, while waiting for my drink I browsed the bulletin board...this is what I found:

"A starry night of Swag" -Adult Prom

First off...
WHAT?
An adult Prom? That atrocity of an event I went to when I was 17 wasn't enough? They need an adult version just in case people weren't scarred already?

Second thought..SWAG? Seriously. That is their theme. 

I understand that this is now how the kids talk, sadly even people in my generation, but my brain literally ground to a halt when I read the poster.
What ever happened to class? Where did acting sincerely and with kindness go? We need these things back! This runs along the same line as "Yolo". When did "Carpe Diem" stop being understood?
Really, I am not that old...I will be 25 in April...I don't think I should feel so disconnected from how people think, talk, and act. But I have found that it's not even the younger generation that is lacking in respect, honesty, and forthrightness. Several times I have found men and women my own age that talk and act much younger.

Maybe all the other adults I ran into as a kid where right; I am an old soul.
My head just can't wrap around the concept of "yolo", "swag", and whatever else this generation decides is how we should act. I'll just continue to shake my head in disbelief and hope that the generation after this one learns a thing or two about being an adult and treating others with respect.

And losing "swag" and opting for class and charm seems like a good first step to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment