Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Books for Writers Part 1


New year, new series! *cheers all around*
As stated in my "new years post" I want to start running a few series centered around a central topic. They are going to center around books that I have found helpful as a novelist, a fantasy writer, and as a self published author.
First up? The books that I find immensely helpful as a novelist/writer. There are four of them, and they are in no particular order:

 45 Master Characters by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
20 Master Plots by Ronald B. Tobias
Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway, Elizabeth and Ned Stuckey-French
Between the Lines by Jessica Page Morrell

Both the books dealing with master characters and plots are amazing for sparking the imagination. As the famous saying goes, there are no new stories, just the way they are told. With both of these books there are so many possible combinations for storytelling. I have never fully based a book or character off of them, but I have pulled aspects or ideas from them. Sometimes just reading about archetypes will get my imagination running.
I currently have a section on Archetypes V.S. Stereotypes bookmarked with a sticky note in 45 Master Characters. This is one of my favorite things to reference since I write mainly genre fiction, and there is a distinction between the two. In 20 Master Plots I have the section about Story V.S. Plot bookmarked. Once again there is a distinction between the two that should be understood. Both of these I try to reference and keep in mind while writing.

Writing Fiction and Between the Lines focus on your craft. In fact Writing Fiction was actually one of my assigned textbooks from a creative writing class. Honestly, I know that I am a bit of a pack rat, but in the case of my writing courses, I usually kept the textbooks. We only would use a fraction of it each semester, and if when flipping through I saw other chapters or sections I thought could be helpful, I kept the book. Writing Fiction was one of those books. There are some great writing exercises, and chapters of characterization.
Between the Lines was a book that I actually picked up on my own at Barnes and Noble years ago. I have read this book at least twice, and have gone back and referenced several sections. While there are some great writing exercises, I really prize this book for how easily understood the chapters are. Everything is written clearly and is easily understood in a plain language. If you only buy one writing "instruction" book, this would be the one I recommend.

One thing that I found humorous through writing this post and looking at these books was that three out of the the four were from Writers Digest Books. Not that this was a promoted post in any way, as I have had these books far longer than I have had this blog. Just something that I found funny. :)

4 comments:

  1. I really need to get some writing books. For most things ebooks are fine - but things like that, I like to have it physically open near me while I write. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! :) There will be two more posts coming that outline other books as well. Having them physically in front of you when writing is such a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you familiar with "Bird by Bird," by Anne Lamott? It's a little more about writing philosophy and process than hard guidelines or exercises, but it's hugely encouraging for getting through the rough patches with advice like "Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sasha thank you for the comment! Yes, I have heard of that one. A lot of people in my creative writing track loved it, but I've never had the opportunity to read through it. Sounds like a good book though! :)

    ReplyDelete