Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Uniquely Me

Writers all get the same basic letters, expressions, and punctuation. So what sets each author apart from the other? More importantly what makes you unique from the myriad of people writing and producing books?


At first, when I was just starting out on my writing path, I thought that I was different because I was writing about dragons, magic, and sword fights when all of my friends were writing about boys, and love. I thought that my setting and genre was set apart. But after reading more, and losing some my naiveté, I realized that it wasn't too different after all. So how was my writing different, unique?


I have often been told that the way that I phrase sentences is unique, and that some don't really like my style. Sadly one such person was my capstone professor in college...but that is a story for another time. All through middle, high school, and most of college, people would tell me that my structure was different. I tend to break paragraphs up not only based on subject matter, but also for emphasis. Almost akin to how lines of poetry are split apart to either get the reader to slow down, or speed up.


But what else could I do to make myself unique? (See what I did there ;) )


Find your voice. Find your genre. Find what you like writing about.
Honestly that is the best thing I can tell people.


For me, I write across many genres. I write High Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Romance, Historical Fiction, Urban Fantasy-Mystery, Christian Fantasy, and some Science Fiction. Each genre has its typical tropes and recognizable aspects, and you do want to use them. But how you use them is what makes you and your writing unique. I think that by writing not just one genre, but across several, people learn how to craft different settings, create unforgettable characters, and how to successfully weave intricate plots.


Does it take time to do this? Yes.


It takes practice to learn how to write effectively. It also takes practice to learn how to edit yourself. I don't let anyone see my work until I've gone through it at least twice, if not three times. Not that I think it's bad. I just don't want someone correcting the stupid typos that happen if I can help it. I want them to focus on other things of the story.


Not only do I like the genres I write it. I also found that writing strong female characters, especially in genre fiction, is critical. Strong and distinct characterization is what I like the most, and watching these characters arcs. How the events in the novel change them, and not always how I planned, is something that I love watching and being a part of. I love exploring the "nature vs nurture" question, and how our choices in life affect how we live, and how we view the world around us.
I also find excitement in exploring topics of faith, hope, and love.


Have I found my voice? Yes, every book, series, or character I write sounds different and sometimes it shocks even me.
Have I found my genre? Several.
Have I found what I like writing about? Yes, topics and ideas intrigue me.
Will I continue to change as I write? Definitely.


Being an author/writer is not a destination, but an ever changing journey.

2 comments:

  1. SO awesome to see your thought process - I like your blogging style for sure! A lot of what you're talking about here are things I struggle with. How to really stand out? How to be ME? But I think I need to write more and let my writer self emerge, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Stefanie! It is a hard topic for a lot—okay—all writers!The only way to find your voice and writing style is to write more. We are all learning a craft that no one is a master of, and every walk is different :)

    ReplyDelete