Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Writing to Music: Yay or Nay?

Ah the question that comes along whenever two people realize they are both writers. To write with music playing, or write without it.


Some prefer absolute silence, and some require it. While others like the sounds of music coming through headphones, or even just the noise of the everyday going on around them.
I fall on the prefer music side of the fence. Now, in some instances I do not write to music, as I do most of the time when writing blogs. BUT when it comes to my novel or short story writing, I much prefer the sounds of music.


Some people listen only to score music, or songs with out words. Some I know prefer listening to lyrics, and music style varies on the piece they are working on. If your story is set in the city, some upbeat hip hop style music playing the background may help set the scene. The same goes for writing a western. As long as the music helps to immerse you in the world you are creating, use whatever works.


For my Fantasy novels I typically enjoy lyric-less music such as scores from movies. A few of my favorites are:
Doom
Pacific Rim
Assassins Creed-Black Flag
Pirates of Carribean


Some of my other novels have been written to music that contains lyrics. When I was writing my romance set in Ireland, I worked to the soundtrack for Outlander. I also wrote to a playlist titled "Modern Celtic" that contains todays songs written and sung in Gaelic. It sets the tone and gets the words flowing. When writing on fiction, I have a more difficult time getting "into" the story without music.


What about you? What do you prefer?




And don't forget! My first novel Through the Mountains is currently on sale for Kindle for only .99! And book two Across the Sea and Hills is on sale for eBook as well, 1.99 this month only!!! Keep watch though...One of them will be free the weekend of the 22nd!


Click the link below to grab a copy today!!
http://www.amazon.com/Malinda-Andrews/e/B013YY7Z42/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1460552792&sr=8-2

3 comments:

  1. I listen to a lot of music with lyrics. But sometimes scores without lyrics help a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting! I think music in general helps (scores or lyrics). It sets the tone, and gets me in the correct mind-set for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on what I'm writing. One of my favorite procrastinations in the early writing stages is to make a playlist of several hours' length that embodies the tone I'm going for. I haven't found that magic mix for my current project yet, though... :(

    ReplyDelete