Friday, April 1, 2016

April Fools Day!

Happy April Fools Day!


UGH It's such a tragedy that one of my favorite months, and my birthday month, starts off with this.


Ever since high school I have disliked this day tremendously. I don't have a problem with this day since the meaning started out so different. What I dislike is that people use it as an excuse to be cruel. In school there were many a times I saw kids crying and hurt over "harmless pranks". April Fools Day was not meant to be like that.


Across many cultures one day a year was often set aside to break the decorum of normal society. It was a day of fun, and frivolity. Historically these events were not pranks that would cause someone serious mental harm. In England the jokes stopped at mid day. In fact if someone did not, they were then dubbed the "april fool". In Ireland and Scotland the traditional prank is giving someone a signed and sealed letter and telling them to deliver it. When it is delivered the person receiving the letter finds instructions to not laugh or smile, but to tell the messenger that they can only help them if they then run to a different person first. In this way the person being "pranked" just runs messages around meaning nothing.


Today, or at least in the school days I had, I remember such pranks as:


If a guy found out a girl liked him, he'd ask her out. Once she said yes, he'd yell April Fools.


Hiding someone's personal property or books.


Calling each other nasty names, or saying they hated someone.


Putting putty or some other substance on the chairs of unsuspecting girls.


Girls spreading rumors about other girls.


Cracking into someone's locker and either removing items, or messing it up.


Egging someone's car. (Saran wrapping it, or other destructive ideas)


Without fail the kids in the cafeteria would try to start a food fight.


Putting a bucket of water, or confetti balanced on the top of a door.


If any of this looks familiar, it's because it's the crap that goes on everyday of the school year. Except on April Fools the kids get away with more. I always dreaded the day, and was relieved if it was on a weekend. If it happened to fall on a week day I had three options. Option one: Keep my head down, and be aware of everything and everyone around me. Option two: Pretend to be sick so I could stay home. Option three: Bargain with my mother to let me stay home. (usually option three worked since I was an honor roll student and never fell behind on work and studying).


So if you happen to be an unfortunate person like me who dislikes this holiday, good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment