Friday, September 28, 2012

DIY

   I like DIY ideas. Over the years I have picked up many skill from DIY projects:
       I have learned how to crochet a different stitch for making a scarf for loved one by watching a youtube video. 
       I learned how to care for a few odd plants that I now possess.
       I learned how to lay tiles in a bath room or kitchen.
       I learned, from doing, how to dig and fill in a trench for a drainage pipe properly.
       I've learned the "Measure twice, Cut once" philosophy. (I still have a bad habit of not though)
       I've learned how lay out and tamp down a brick patio.
       I learned how to train horses (Mostly from books/videos etc, but some from people too)
       I've learned how to lay down a faux-wood flooring system. 
   These are but a few of the many things that I have picked up over the years from books, TV, magazines, and of course, everyone's favorite: youtube!
   I really like the idea of Zines and self publishing. Self publishing was something that I was going to start looking into in December when I graduate. Not necessarily for Zines, but for my novels and short stories. I am hoping that the knowledge that I can glean from working with and even producing Zines of my own can transfer over nicely to self publication of slightly larger works. 
    I really enjoy the DIY attitude, it's more of a "can do" than just needing to "call in the professionals". It can save time (and money), and it's empowering to the person who is trying to give themselves some new knowledge or skill set. This attitude is what I feel the early settlers had. The attitude of learning and working on things themselves. I feel as a culture and society that we have gotten lazy, and that DIY culture/projects can help alleviate that ambivalence towards tasks and new projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment