Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Just get it down, edit later"-the theme of my writing for the day



              “No! I won’t let you!” She yelled at the man in front of her. The man her father had told her to trust was trying to break up her and her brother James. He claimed that because he was sick that he should either be sent back on the next ship leaving, or be kept in town while she went out to the place they were promised to.
                “Come now Miss Tealby, you must see the sense in this?” The man towered over her, he had a black beard that had gone streaked with iron as he had aged. She turned towards him, fire blazing in her blue eyes.
                “No, I do not. He is my brother. If he goes back on that ship he will die. And I am not leaving him behind.” She looked over at her brother lying on a cot nearby. They had been brought off of the ship and right to this man’s home. Looking back at the tall man, Adelaide wasn’t sure her father would have told her to trust him if he had known the man would want to split up his children.
                The man in charge shuffled some papers on his desk. Adelaide could tell that she had presented him with a problem that he didn’t want to deal with.
                “Miss Tealby, if you insist on staying with your brother you can’t go to the same house that your contract is for.” He looked up to meet her eyes. “The family only wanted a girl to help with the children and housework. Your brother was going to go off to a. . .” he shuffled more papers, “ah here tis, a Mr. Wreke.”
                “Fine, I’m not leaving my brother.” She crossed the distance to where her brother was lying, “I will go with him to this Wreke’s place.”
                “Miss, I don’t know that he will want the both of ye. He only signed the papers for your brother. . .” she looked back over at the man, her intense stare enough to quiet him.
                “I am going where my brother goes.” She turned back and smoothed the light brown hair over his forehead, his eyes flicked open revealing a darker blue than his sisters. “I will not leave him to get sicker, he needs me.”  She smoothed the thin blanket over him and stood again.
                “Well I suppose we can try to go see Mr. Wreke.” The large man looked at the two young people in front of him, “Maybe he can make use of ye both somehow.”
               

No comments:

Post a Comment