Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Remember



I remember that first meeting, how he plopped down in the chair
 like he belonged there.
I remember his footsteps as he came down the hall and around the corner.
I remember not knowing his name for two whole months.
I remember just sharing stories, not sure if we’d see each other ever again.
I remember when I fixed his hoodie’s drawstring.
I remember skipping class just to keep talking.
I remember the head over heels, butterflies in my stomach feeling
 whenever he was close.

I remember the late nights.
I remember the sound of an idly picked guitar.
I remember the short winding drive by the river.
I remember that first vacation.
I remember trying to fit two people onto a twin sized bed,
and I remember it not working.
I remember staying up all night on the couch talking about
 everything and nothing.
I remember the way his touch made me feel alive.

I remember the agitated texts when I didn’t respond fast enough.
I remember slowly losing my identity.
I remember how the suspicious thoughts started.
I remember thinking, maybe this isn’t right.
I remember how he walked out instead of staying and talking things out.
I remember both drunken Halloweens.
I remember forgiving him.

I remember I hated being forced to fight, to yell.
I remember having no time for myself.
I remember many happy hours with his family.
I remember the laughter and beaming faces of children.
I remember feeling unhappy and anxious all the time, for no reason.
I remember the advice “Be with the person that makes you better.”
I remember the hurt on his face when I said I didn’t want to be with him.

I remember thinking he was so ‘mature’.
I remember how wrong I was.
I remember every insult he hurled or wrote.
I remember I never hurled any back.
I remember being so hurt I wanted to crawl inside myself and hide from the world.

 I’m remembering who I come from, and that we are survivors.
I’m remembering how much I like my freedom.
I’m remembering how to be truly happy again.
I’m remembering what it’s like to just be me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment