Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Being a "Reader"

So the other day I had someone come up to me say, "You read a lot, don't you? I always see you with a book."


Again, as with other things that people have come up to me just blurted out, I wasn't sure how to respond. Thankfully in this instance that moment passed within a few seconds, because I was reading this book with a purpose, and not just to enjoy the story.


At that moment I happened with be reading The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis. Now I have read all of the Narnia books many times, years before. Like in elementary/middle school, so I was pretty familiar with the stories. My purpose in reading them around this time was because I had had an idea for a middle grade/YA Christian fiction, and I wanted to be sure that it was significantly different than Lewis' stories. Thankfully they are, and I am excited to start brainstorming for a new project.


So I explained that to him, and he seemed satisfied with that answer and we moved onto other topics. 
But what got to me is that his tone seemed different. Not condescending, but rather like he didn't understand why I would want to read so much. Or why I always have a book with me.


I love to read. Since my mother taught me at a young age, I have loved it. In school I always excelled at the reading and comprehension classes. I can read something and retain it, which is pretty cool. I like getting lost in the worlds that the authors create. Caring about the characters, and what happens to them in their fictional lives. It doesn't matter if I'm reading about children in Narnia, Dragons that speak, mice and woodland creatures that fight, or a detective and her case. Getting out of my head into someone else's has always been fun.


I always carry a book with me. You never know when something may come up that you have to wait for. Be it a doctor visit, a bus, before church service. I even read on lunch and before work if I'm early enough. It takes me to another place, and gives me time to escape from my life. It gets my imagination going, and inspires me to write better. To craft better characters or plots, to be better not only for myself but for my readers.


There is a love of books that some people have, and some don't. And not all readers are writers. But we share a common love for the written word, and that makes us into something larger than ourselves.
Let me know if you agree, disagree, or just if you love books too!

2 comments:

  1. I like to read but I've never been an avid reader who takes a book everywhere. Expect when I was in school. I always read in between classes. I don't understand why some people think differently of people who do read a lot. I see nothing wrong with it. Though more recently I don't read books much at all because I'm always thinking about and working on my story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain when it comes to working on your own stories. It's hard to find the time to fit everything in!

    ReplyDelete