Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Now that NaNo is over...-WuW

Welcome to the post NaNo slump. A time to not only slack off, but to *gasp* make plans to review your monstrosity that is a first draft. It's okay if you fear going back to look at the hideous beast you've created; the goal of NaNoWriMo is to tell your inner editor "see you later", not to banish him/her forever. Eventually you want to let them out of the cage, and release them on your manuscript.


Just don't be afraid to look back, you might be surprised at what you've put down on the page. But don't be too hard on yourself. The whole job of that first draft is simply to exist. It doesn't have to be perfect, or even OK. You can only edit words on a page; you can't fix something that isn't there.


Usually after NaNo, I let the manuscript rest, at least until the new year. I go away and work on something else for awhile to gain perspective. And the first time I read it through, I only fix the obvious errors, like a missing word, or simple spelling. Or maybe I couldn't remember the name of something in the middle of a word war and need to look it up after having a place holder. But regardless, the first read through is to reacquaint myself with the book, and usually I have a glass of wine when I start. It makes the process more fun. It is actually FUN to see what you had to come up with in a short amount of time.


The next pass through is when I break out the red pen. And I am brutal to my own work. It's actually amazing I've "finished" editing a piece at all! This is the part where I get picky about details, about events, plot lines, and characterization. I make sure all of that lines up, and that there aren't any scenes missing. Once I fix all of that, then I let it rest for a little while before giving it another look over. After a third time, then it's ready for my editor, and my first beta reader.


Writing, I have found, is the easy part. After writing, most authors give their manuscript up. Saved to their hard drive, it collects electronic dust. Don't let it! Editing and revising is all a part of the writing process. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Is it worth is? Yes. Will it force you to be a better writer? YES!


So please, please, please, don't let this happen to you. Give it some time, and then go back and see what your wonderfully creative mind has discovered. Grow in the skills that writing requires, get a critique partner, or 5. You all will benefit. Even if you never publish it. You are building your craft and honing skills.


Plus, it's just fun. Until next time, keep writing! (Well, at least working on your writing ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment