Wednesday, November 25, 2015

All about DRAGONS! -WuW

So while I was at NerdCon, waiting for the Patrick Rothfuss signing, I got to talking to the people sitting on either side of me. Like you do when waiting over an hour in line. While we were talking the young gentleman, and I'm so sorry I can't for the life of me remember his name, asked me a very strange (in my mind) question about my writing.
He asked, "How do you handle dragons?"


My first response was to shake my head and ask in return, "What do you mean?" I literally didn't understand his question at first.
He tried to explain, what he meant was how are they portrayed in my world. Are they intelligent, dumb beasts, or ferocious killers that hoard gold and steal maidens?


My answer was very simple, "They are just another character. Each one is different, and each one has their own looks, thoughts, and personalities. Just like the human characters."
It never occurred to me that there was a precedent for how to present dragons, that they had to be one way or another.


To me they play as important a role in the story as their human counterparts. And just like humans, some are "bad" and some are "good"- though I try not to have everything so black and white, but for the sake of discussion I'll reference them.


Take Feoras, the dragon you meet in the first book. (And honestly, he will probably always be my favorite) He is what is known as a traditional "western" style dragon. He has four legs, two horns that curve back over his head, and spikes/spines down his back and tail. He is heavily muscled, and his scales are a deep red over his back and body, with a gold cast to his under belly. His wings are proportionate to his body with a reddish color to the membranes.
But it's his personality that is so striking.


He is fiercely loyal and protective of not only Riona, but anyone he perceives as "his". He will go to great lengths to protect those he cares for, and becomes distraught when forced away from Riona. He thinks, he feels, and he has clear opinions on life and events happening. He even tried to name himself! He is clearly in the "good" camp.
As he should be since he's the protagonists bonded dragon!
Yes I suppose there are some "traditional" aspects to dragons that I included. He does have  a "thing" for shiny objects, though he doesn't steal.


He is, in his own words:
"I am fierce, strong. I am fire breather, I am sky hunter, and I am magnificent."

No comments:

Post a Comment