Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Why I started Blogging- WuW

How is NaNoWriMo going for everyone? Good I hope!
Is it currently day four and I am a little behind where I want to be. I have 5,301 words, and will be doing some more writing as soon as I post this. If you want to follow or add me on the NaNo site, my user name is mandrews25 :)

Today I wanted to talk a little about why I chose to blog, and why I chose to continue to do so after starting it.
Initially this blog started during college, well, for a college class to be honest. My very first post can be seen here: http://malindaandrews.blogspot.com/2012/09/scene-from-current-project.html


This class focused on the literary form that is a Zine. For those of you that don't know, a Zine is ,according to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, "a small magazine that is written by people who are not professional writers and that usually has stories about a particular subject".
Now, I agree with the opening, and ending, but I do not agree with the "Professional writers". What I think they meant by  the term "professional" is that the people making Zines are usually every day people like you and me. If we happen to sell them, great, but they are not usually made for profit. Typically they are hand made, and only a few exist of each version. Now of course there are exceptions, this a generalization of the form of writing for the purpose of introducing the topic.


During the class we were to basically produce a Zine every two weeks. We focused on themes for each one, which will be reflected in the blog posts on this site during that time. The professor also instructed us to start a blog, using whichever server you chose, and that we were to post 3 times a week. Sometimes we would be assigned something specific to write about, and sometimes we simply had to post anything. He wanted us to experiment not only with Zine writing, but other alternative forms of writing/communication including blogging, vlogging, podcasts, and Zine's. This was really where I first came across the concept of self publishing.


The class was great and I learned a ton about writing, editing, publishing, and collaborating. The community in that room was fantastic, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. But after it ended, and I was looking into building up my online presence as an author, both for traditional and self publishing, I decided to keep the blog.
I revamped the look way back 2012 after the class ended, and started try to post regularly. At times that was an epic fail, but I was learning about myself and my writing process. There are a few random topics, simply because I was trying to post often. But most of my posts revolve around my life as a writer- with all it's ups and downs.
Recently I revamped the background again, and with some help from my writing/editing buddy, placed some tabs at the top so that it functions more as a website than just a blog. I really like how long I've been able to continue blogging, and look forward to where I am headed.
And OF course, keeping you all updated along the way ;)


Until next time, keep writing my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment