Monday, November 9, 2015

South East Wisconsin Festival of Books!

On Saturday November 7th I had the opportunity to have a table at the South East Wisconsin Festival of books from 12:30 to 4pm.
Overall I really enjoyed it. I met several fellow authors that were extremely nice, and we had a good time keeping boredom at bay together. It was a pleasant experience, and I plan on participating again next year if they will host the Writers Marketplace again. One thing that really got me was seeing my name up on the announcer board with all the other authors. It felt very official, like I was a "real" author, that I belonged there too.
I didn't really have a reaction when I got the first proof copy of my first book. But for some reason seeing my name on a name tag that said "Author" and having a table sign with my name and my book title, brought it all home for me. I did get a bit teary eyed, and it was somewhat emotional for me. I felt like I was making strides in becoming a full time author.
The bookmarks that I had specially made for the event were a HUGE hit. (apparently people like free stuff...who knew?) And they helped to bring traffic my way, now if only the ten people who took one will order my book online! I did sell a few there, and traded one for another author's book with the understanding we'd write a review for each other.
A few things that I learned, or that hit me hard in a negative way:


Some people just want free stuff, and aren't willing to give you the time of day.


People judge a book by it's cover...HARD. I had one older woman walk by and make a face like she smelled road kill. "I don't read fantasy." she sniffed one more time and walked away. (Needless to say, I was miffed) ON the upside, it means that my artist did a great job conveying that it is a fantasy book.


Having a table cloth and displays attract people. I didn't even think to bring anything to decorate my table with! (oops) I blame it on being too busy with NaNo to think about much else.


Too many people want YA...Oy Vey I can't even count the times I was asked if it was YA...And no, it is NOT. If anything it would be New Adult Fantasy as the characters are older.


Bring candy, everyone loves candy.


I need more books. Having this giant table and only one book to spread across it looked weird. (I did have multiple copies-of course- and spread them out for display) If I had the second in the series and the novella published it would have looked better.


Having my proof copy with me was a great talking piece. When I was trying to sell the book I was able to say that the second one will be out the first weekend in February, which got a lot of interest. Apparently people are like me and hate waiting for the next installment.


Okay, time to get back to writing for NaNoWriMo, I hope everyone else had a great weekend, and keep writing my friends! ;)



2 comments:

  1. Cool, it sounds like it was a worthwhile event for you! And now that you know all this, you can go back next year and have the most popular table there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully you can come down next year too! :) I'm looking forward to next year, and I found out about a signing down at the West Allis library in March, I'll send you the info when I have more ;)

    ReplyDelete