Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Why would someone want to attempt NaNoWriMo?

I have been asked this question a lot in the past few weeks. People want to know why anyone would try to attempt to write a novel in a month, most people can't even fathom writing a novel in their life.

For me, since 2005, November has not been a good month.

When I was fifteen my first horse, Sierra died in a tragic accident. We found out that she was allergic to penicillin the hard way, and I watched my baby seize and die right in front of me as a young girl. It was in that moment, and I did realize it at the time, that my "innocence" about the world and life was lost.
Most people do not have a definitive moment where they can look back and say: "Yes, that was it. That was when the reality of life and harshness of the world was introduced to me."
I had experienced death before, but nothing like this.

She died November 6, 2005 at around 4 pm. She was only two and half years old.

Today has never been a good day for the past eight years.
But I want this November to be different, I want to write a novel and be able to use my feelings and experiences in life to move people, to have them sympathize, cringe, cry, leap for joy and laugh with my characters.

I think that the best writers all have something happen in their life that changes them. Some form of hardship or obstacle to overcome. 

C.S. Lewis said it best:
"When we lose one blessing, another is often unexpectedly given in it's place."
"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny..."  


No comments:

Post a Comment