Wednesday, March 2, 2016

4 Challenges Writers Face- Feeling Overwhelmed and Anxiety

Welcome back! Or at least I hope that you decided to come back to my blog after last week's part one in a four part series. And if you're new, well an extra welcome to you! In part one I discussed the challenge of distractions, and in part two the topics are feeling overwhelmed and dealing with anxiety.


Sometimes during the writing and creating process we get so lost, that it can be jarring to have the real world come knocking at the door. Or even to realize just how much you have to get done before a deadline approaches. This is completely normal. Having a stress response is a natural thing. It's what makes us pay bills, have a job, buy groceries. But when that response goes haywire? It can really mess with your head!


So how do you combat it?


When I am feeling overwhelmed, I make a list of everything that has to get done. This is best done on paper where you can see it, but after doing it so long, I can do it in my head. Once you have that list, go ahead and rank the tasks with different levels of importance from A-C, A is the highest, C is the lowest. By putting everything out on paper you are making the intangible thoughts and worries tangible. In this manner you are better able to attack what needs to be done in the best and most logical way possible.


Seeing everything laid and seeing that, hey the dishes/laundry/anything else could wait another hour, brings a sense of peace. By having a "game plan" on how to attack the list of things that need to get done, I usually feel calmer. I know where to start, and know down to brass tacks what at the very least needs to get done. The rest of the list? I will get to the other items as soon as possible, but I attack the "A" items first and see how much time is left.


Sometimes even this isn't enough to ease my anxiety. At that point I will make a cup of tea, usually peppermint or spearmint. I literally give myself a time out. Most times I only need five to ten minutes, but use which ever amount of time you think will work best. During this "time out" I concentrate on my breathing, and focus only on one task at a time. I mentally outline how I will work on the issues or tasks one at a time. After my time is up, and  I am not feeling anxious or overwhelmed, I get back to work with clarity. Many times I can actually get though the task list much quicker after taking a "time out" as my mind is better able to focus.


What about you? How do you deal with feelings of anxiety or being overwhelmed?
Please share them down below!


No comments:

Post a Comment