Wednesday, March 9, 2016

4 Challenges Writers Face- Quiet Audience

Everyone has that fear, that dreaded dream, where you stand up in front of a group of people and something goes awry. Either you're missing a piece of clothing, people boo and heckle, electronics fail, or the audience is completely silent, almost like no one is there at all. This is the worst fear of a writer who is putting their work out there. Will anyone like it? Will they share it with friends? Will they leave a review so that the book is easier to find for other people?


Let me tell you, this is a big challenge I face. Every week I put up two blogs, and once a month I post a book review. And every week I see the consistently high views and reads, but no one really comments.


I hear about people that are interested in my book, or have read it and liked it. But I don't see the same return on reviews. I often wonder, is anyone out there reading my work? Is it worth the time, money, blood, sweat, and tears it takes to put one of my books out there?


Despite the hardships, challenges, and doubts...my answer is a resounding YES.


Now, this does not mean that I am over the hills happy all the time. In fact I have to fight through the doubts when the audience is silent and the auditorium seems empty. The best piece of information I can give someone who is building their audience, is to not give up. Keep posting your blog. Keep tweeting and instagraming both personal and professional aspects to your life. Go to conferences, go to signings, host an author event- even if only a handful of people show up. Then it's just more intimate, and you can express and share things easier.


And when you do learn about someone who loves your work (almost) as much as you do? Cherish them! Re-read the good reviews and positive comments. Hopefully you have built your own cheerleading section, and surrounded yourself with people who not only care about your work, but also you. These people can and will lift you up when you are feeling down. They will be the ones to remind you that this is not a sprint, but a marathon. Lean on them. I can't even tell you how many times my husband has been my rock when things are quiet.


Just keep posting, keep putting both yourself and your work out there. The people will come once they realize you are active, that you respond to them, and that you continue to put out good quality books.


Stay the course, and keep on writing!

2 comments: