Sunday, March 6, 2016

March Review - Self Published Book

Cat, Charmed  is the second in the Whitfield Witch series by sisters Christine Cacciatore and Jennifer Starkman. After finishing Baylyn, Bewtiched I could not wait to start the second book. It did not disappoint!


The synopsis from Amazon:
Cat is a woman who loves control. Her world is turned upside down when she is suddenly gifted with magical powers she did not ask for. Her control shattered, she turns to the one thing she insists she doesn't need in her life--hot, handsome Devin Hughes. Despite his playboy ways, he's working his way into her heart...a heart she didn't know could love, or trust, again. Is he attracted to her because of her wayward spell? Or could it be, just maybe, she's ready for the love she deserves?




This book centers around Baylyn's best friend Cat, who thanks to events in the first book, is now a witch. Becoming a witch sounds like a good thing, until it goes haywire. Cat has an affinity for making a chair into a praying mantis, and when she spells for cheese a little Frenchman shows up as well.


Unfortunately thanks to how she got the powers, and her backstory, everything is not what it seems and she struggles. I really resonated with Cat as I have control issues, and was once in an abusive relationship. Granted, I was never physically hurt, nor was I married to the guy, but I saw some of myself in Cat. Because of this connection I felt more for Cat than I did for Baylyn. I really liked that it was more than "fun and games" in this book. While this book was once again a light hearted, easy read, it touched on some larger, darker issues.


I loved that they brought Reynard back, what an ass! I was wondering where he slunk off to. And having Bud in it? That was fantastic and leant an edge of danger to the books.  I like that everything is not fluff, there are some aspects to this book that make it much more than just a silly romance.


What I didn't love was how short the book was! The book covers an entire year, yet is small enough to read in one sitting. (Probably like 4-6 hours depending on how fast you read) The chapters are short, and they keep you moving. I would have much preferred to see more of the characters than what we are allowed to see. I also wanted to see more of Baylyn and Declan. I know this isn't their book, but I would have loved to see more of how they worked things out.


The romance and relationship between Cat and Devin is awesome, and so realistic. People really do mess up, misinterpret, and overreact in the moment. Again, I wanted to see more at the end of who things are going to go.


These books would make an awesome hallmark movie! I would totally watch it over and over again. I can't wait to read the next in the series, Elise, Evermore when it comes out. I highly recommend these books if someone wants a good read that will suck you in, and leave you feeling light at the end.


5/5 stars from me!


The link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JD03I8Y/ref=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_control_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_visstd_sin_t1_control_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00JD03I8Y&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG2

No comments:

Post a Comment